Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Golden Baked Apple Pudding

I had some apples that were fading fast in my refrigerator and I knew that I needed to do something with them.  It's starting to feel like fall around here and I decided I was going to try for some sort of "comfort food" apple dessert.  I stumbled across this "Golden Baked Apple Pudding" recipe in "The Cook's Companion" cook book. The picture instantly drew me in.  The results was just as amazing as the picture looked!

Ingredients:
1 lb cooking apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp golden raisins
4 oz whole wheat bread
generous 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
4 tbsp brown sugar
generous 1 cup lowfat milk

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Peel and core the apples and chop the flesh into 1/2 inch pieces.  Place in a bowl and toss with the cinnamon and golden raisins.

This is probably more than a pound, but I love apples!
2. Remove the crusts and cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes.  Add to the apples with the cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of the brown sugar and mix together.  Stir in the milk.

3. Turn the mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinke with the remaining sugar.  Bake inthe preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.  Serve hot.

Yum!  It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment